The characteristics of the N95 mask, which is one of the masks that came into our lives with the Corona virus pandemic, are the protective properties determined as FFP2 or FFP3 on European Union standardization.
The characteristics of the N95 mask are generally evaluated on the ability of the mask to filter viruses and bacteria that can be transmitted in different ways. Compared to surgical masks known as medical masks, N95 mask has more protective properties. In our article where we give more detailed information about N95, we will also mention the characteristics of other respirators.
What are the Characteristics of N95 Mask?
N95 masks and FFP masks have the same protective characteristics, and but classified by different authorities. While N95 is a tem determined by the US National Institute of Safety and Health (NIOSH) as a classification of air filtration devices, FFP2 is defined by Filtering Face Piece group of the European Union. There is also Chinese mask standardization with the same features named as KN95.
All these masks are considered as respirator masks under the category of breathing device. The specific features of N95 masks are as follows:
- It is produced by high filtering fabrics.
- A N95 mask protects the user from aerosols, gases or vapors that may pose a danger to human health.
- It can filter the particles down to 0.3 micron
- Providing 95% filtration and protection against particlec in size of respiratory droplet.
- It fits tightly in the face
- Impermeability thanks to the thin metal in the nose area
- The opportunity to breathe comfortably
What Are the N95 Mask Standards?
The production of N95 and other respirators in this class must comply with certain standards that are basically divided into two groups. These are structural (protective) standards and design standards.
- Structural standards: These are the standards that specify which fabrics and materials N95 masks should be used while manufacturing, and which size particles should be filtered at minimum and at what rate. The most important of these standards is the capacity of mask to filter 0.3 micron and larger particles.
- Design standards: N95 mask can be designed in two ways: with or without gusset. Although N95 with a valve is slightly heavier, it is comfortable since providing more comfortable breathe. N95 mask with no gusset is lighter because the filters are inside of fabric. Apart from the gusset, N95 has a thin wire in the nose area to fit well on the face and tight and taut ear loops.
Which Mask Protects Better: Surgical Mask or Respirator?
As a result of the Covid – 19 pandemic spreading all over the world in a very short time, one of the most curious questions is which mask protects better. The two most used types of mask in the market are often compared which are N95 respirator and surgical masks.
Surgical masks are also known as medical masks and generally used in medical fields. They are designed to prevent the wearer from transmitting any viruses or bacteria to others. The protection and particle blocking rate of these masks is lower than respirators, so they cannot effectively protect the wearer. On the other hand, according to researches N95 respirator mask is able to block viruses and bacteria of 0.3 micron size by 95% through air or liquid particles. Consequently, it can be said that a respirator known as N95 or FFP2 provides better protection than a surgical mask.
Usage Period of N95 (FFP) Masks
There is a misperception that N95 masks are not disposable and can be used for a long time, but N95 masks are disposable like other surgical masks. The filtering part of these masks is made of a special paper. And if the filter is moist, sweated or used for a long time, it may be physically damaged and the filtration rate may decrease. That’s why experts recommend wearing N95 masks for only single use.
N95 Mask Price
In order to produce N95 masks, ISO 13485 and QCS International certificates must be provided. In addition, it is necessary to have the CE certificate in accordance with the TS EN 14683 standard.
The N95 manufactured by Mag Çanta is a high quality and certified mask that complies with national and international production standards. You can supply this mask either wholesale or retail. You can contact us for detailed information about N95 mask prices and other types of mask.